- 400-600g Boerewors
- Onion(s) (1 large or 2 small)
- Carrot(s) (1 large or 2 small)
- Celery (optional)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- Chillies (2-3 small medium strength) (optional)
- 100-150ml Dry (not sweet) Red Wine (optional)
- 1X Tinned Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Thyme & Parsley (My choice however origanum/oregano, basil, Italian Herbs will also work)
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan/Pecorino cheese to serve (optional)
Chop the onions, carrots, celery and garlic (crush) as well as the chillies if you are adding. Put this all together in a large pot with a bit of oil. Heat this on the stove on a medium heat until the onions looks translucent. Whilst this is cooking get the boerewors, cut it open and take out the filling. I personally don't throw away the skin, I just add it with the meat however that is your own preference. Anyway, once the meat filling is removed from the skin, spend a minute or two using a chopping knife to break up any chunks that might be too large. Add this to the pot with softening onions, celery and carrots and allow it to brown slightly, stirring occasionally.
When the meat has browned slightly add the red wine if you are using it and allow to simmer for a few minutes stirring. Then add the tin of tomatoes and the tomato paste, salt, pepper and herbs, turn it onto a low heat and allow to cook for 30-45 minutes partially covered or uncovered stirring occasionally.